Make an Arithmographe
As part of your School Project
- Three plastic scales of 12 inches scale with a width of 3 cm.
- A hacksaw blade
- Gum, cutter etc.
- Take a card board 37 cm X 25 cm
- Draw vertical line at 4 -1-1-3-1-1-3-1-1-3-1-1-4 cms apart.
- Bend it as shown in picture 1.
- Apply gum inside the bends and stick them.
- Take another card board of 37 cm X 17 cm and paste it below the first one. Picture-2
- Cut 9 pieces (picture3) of 37 cm X 3 cm and paste 3 each in each slot as shown in picture 3.
- Close the bottom with another small card board piece as shown in picture 4.
- Take a scale and from 1 cm to 10.5 cm make 20 cuts at every 0.5 cm with a hacksaw blade as shown in the picture.
- The scale is kept with the flat side up
- Take the second one and make such 10 cuts on the right side and 20 cuts on the left side starting from 1.cm
- Take the third scale and make 10 cuts on the right side with a gap of 0.5 cm as shown above.
Preparing the 4 strips:
- Cut 4 card board strips of 13 X 3 cm size bend both end at 1 cm (picture 6)
- Paste the first strip at 7.5 cm from the bottom. Picture-9.
- Paste the second strip above it at 8.5 cm after leaving 1 cm gap. Picture-9.
- Place the first scale in the first slot and align to the bottom. Picture-9.
- Mark where the 10th cut from top is appearing. Paste the third strip just below the 10th cut. Picture-9.
- Paste the fourth strip just 0.5 cm above the first cut. Picture-9.
- Make three strips like this on the three scales just 2.5 cm from the bottom. Picture 8
- While pasting, align the scale to the bottom and paste this number strip on it so that the arrow should be visible between the two bottom strips. Picture 10
Preparing the cutout:
- Take a 11 X 11 cardboard and make a cutout out shown in picture 7, with the same measurement.
- Paste this on top of the third and fourth strips. While pasting, the number should align to the first 1 to 10 cuts on the scale. Picture 10.
- Insert each scale in the respective slots.
- Align the scales properly so that
- "0" will appear between the first and second cardboard strips.
- On the first scale, the 11th cut will align to "9" and the 20th cut will align to "0" of the cutout.
- On the second scale, 10th cut on the right will align to 9, and on the left side, the 11th cut will align to "9" and the 20th cut will align to "0" of the cutout.
- On the third scale, 10th cut on the right will align to 9.